Sunday, December 9, 2012

2012 in Review: Scarlette Baccini

Scarlette Baccini

What have been your personal cartooning/comics highlights of 2012?

Being a part of the Big Arse 2 launch was really special. I launched Zombolette, which is a collection of my comics about a zombie and her mutant guinea-pig best friend. Over the years I've come to care deeply for these characters, and I was really proud to see it all finished and in the hands of real-life nerds.

Watching Graphic Novels! Melbourne! at Readings with the good vibes of the local comic book community was also a mega highlight. I've always been a bit of a hermit in comic book land, but there's a real buzz in Melbourne comics at the moment, and finally being a part of it this year has been wonderful. The film kind of summed it up for me.

Who are some of the comics creators that you've discovered and enjoyed for the first time in 2012?


This year I discovered Warren Ellis, who created such a massive and wonderfully realised world that I felt totally lost in the landscape. I also very happily discovered about a zillion local creators. Tim Molloy's It Shines and Shakes and Laughs was so moody and delicious, I
can't wait to see more of his work. Ben Hutchings' Lesson Master killed me, and I think Walking to Japan is one of the loveliest creations I've seen. Discovering the prolificacy of Frank Candiloro was also really inspiring.

What is something non-comics that you have enjoyed in 2012?


Seven Psychopaths! Possibly my favourite film of 2012. I'd been having conniptions over drawing a lot of violence in a new comic I'm working on, and that film helped me to sort out my feelings on the matter.

Have you implemented any significant changes to your working methods this year?

I used to be very haphazard about drawing, and so years of strangling pencils whilst sitting awkwardly on the floor has given me pretty awful RSI. A few months ago I got my hands on a proper drawing board, started sitting at a desk, and learnt how to use brushes. It's been a bit rough learning to use all these new tools, but I'm sure I'll thank myself later.

What are you looking forward to in 2013?

Finishing a Zombolette graphic novel, and a few other shorter projects that are a bit out of my comfort zone.



No comments: